We are recently back from a wonderful trip to California! My parents flew us out over the 4th of July weekend to spend Thursday-Tuesday there with them and my brother, Trey and sister-in-law, Katie. We had a blast!





Thursday night we got in pretty late to Santa Barbara. We stayed at a gorgeous hotel right in the heart of town and enjoyed strolling around the shops, piers, and skate park, and the courthouse where my parents bid on the land they now partially own and where the wells that my dad's company drills that morning. We ate at a wonderful creperie as well--I had my favorite from Paris: nutella with bananas crepe! We drove on to Arroyo Gouro where we stopped to have a fantastic lunch at a restaurant that faced the beach and ocean! Then, we headed on to Santa Maria where we stopped by my dad's company's office (and also where my brother, Trey is interning this summer and will work full-time after he finishes his masters degree this year). It was fun to see Trey in his new element! Dad took us to the new building where they will all be moving to after that. It is AMAZING! I don't know how anyone will get any work there because the bottom floor definitely has a bowling alley, nice cafe, and a full blown movie theater!! The top floor was nice as well, but mostly what you would actually think of when you would think of an office- cubicles and window offices. Oh yeah, and I think there is even a volleyball court behind the office...hmmm, maybe I need a job there too, Dad! We drove on to Pismo Beach to Trey and Katie's house to settle into our room for the rest of the trip. Thanks Trey and Katie for keeping us! You were awesome hosts!! We hopped back in the car together and drove to Avila where there was a Farmers' Market going on. We had roasted corn for dinner and kettle corn. Mmmm!
Saturday morning we woke up bright and early to go with the family on a whale watching tour! The wind was whipping and the swells were high. It took about an hour of sailing out before we saw anything, but then, yes!!!, we saw 4 humpback whales!! It was so fun to see their dorsal fins and tails come out of the water. However, this whole time I have been so proud that I haven't had any morning sickness or anything...but the sea-sickness got me! :( I wasn't the only one though- there were at least 3 others on the boat (not family) that got sick too! It was definitely worth it though to see WHALES! After we returned to land, sweet land....we ate lunch at another cute restaurant facing the ocean. Then, we were off to our next wildlife spotting- elephant seals. These things are massive and so fun to watch. They fight each other for no apparent reason but get pooped out after just about 3 seconds of fighting because they are so big. It was fun to see them all sun-bathing. We stopped at the famous Madonna Hotel on the way home-the way it is decorated is over the top!
Sunday we got to sleep in a little and then headed out to my parents' trailer on the land where the drilling takes place. Trey and Katie went to pick up barbeque while Mom and Dad drove us around the land. So beautiful! When Trey and Katie returned we had church together in the trailer. Dad read from the Bible and gave us words of wisdom and Trey and Drew led the prayers for the bread and juice. We sang together my Dad's favorite song, "The Steadfast Love of the Lord." It was touching to be surrounded by the family I love so much, praising the God I love even more. After lunch, the boys headed out on 4 wheelers to play on the land. Dad took his usual Sunday nap and Katie, Mom, and I enjoyed visiting together. It was such a nice afternoon! Later that evening, we went to a Melodrama called Butch Cassidy and the Sunburnt Kid. It was really funny and very entertaining! They had such great voices and it was the feel-good-moment-of-the-summer. Haha! (Drew always thinks it's funny when they say that about movies). 
Monday we slept in a little again. Well, I did, but Drew went out to get coffee and explore the nearby sand dunes. Mom and Dad came over to Trey and Katie's and Dad, Trey, Katie, and Drew played Settlers of Catan while Mom and I went shopping. My mom bought me some really cute outfits for Grayson at a Carter's store in the outlet mall we went to. She got a beautiful Coach purse too! I was really eyeing them myself. We went back to get Katie and Drew to do some more shopping and my mom bought me and Katie new Coach purses too!! We were getting kind of hungry at that point, so we stopped and ate at an awesome hamburger joint on main street. When we got back we piddled around the house until it was time for fireworks! Trey and Katie have access to their flat roof by way of inside stairs in their house. We all went up there to see the fireworks and got a GREAT show all around us for almost 2 hours straight! Trey felt Grayson kick for the first time and Dad got to feel a good strong punch as well. That night we said bye to Trey as he was returning to work early the next morning.
Tuesday morning we had brunch with my parents and Katie before heading to the Santa Maria airport to fly home. I was fine until we were walking the ramp to board our plane and just started bawling!! I kept trying to wipe tears away all the way to my seat, but they kept coming and coming. Poor Drew didn't know what to do. I just realized how much I loved my family and really miss them. I look forward to the next time we get to see them soon. Don't worry, I pulled myself together before we took off and had our new dinosaur pillow pet my Dad bought for Grayson while we were there to keep me comforted. All in all, it was a fabulous trip and we are so thankful to my parents for letting us have that last vacation before the baby arrives!

tara, your description of the trip sounds wonderful. so glad you were able to be together. there will be many more gatherings, Lord willing!!
ReplyDelete