Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

What a blessing!

God is so good, isn't he?! I have been meaning to share this particular blessing for a long time on here, but haven't gotten around to it. However, this blessing is too sweet to go unmentioned.

During our 19 week appointment, where we found out we are having a boy, we also were told by the doctor that our son had a cyst in his brain. He showed us on the sonogram how on the white skull you could see a decent sized black circle, which was the cyst. Dr. Snead told us that what that meant is that he would want to see me again in about a month to do another ultrasound to see if the cyst was still there, or if it would possibly disappear. It was explained to us that the percentage of us having a child with a chromosomal disorder was about 1 in 1000 for my age to be gin with, and this cyst just upped that percentage by 4. Still, a very small percentage. He comforted us by telling us that even his own daughter's sonogram showed her having two large cysts on either side of her brain and that she turned out perfectly healthy and he wasn't worried when he saw the cysts on her ultrasound but was more worried about his wife freaking out. Drew and I were still overcome with such joy that we are having a boy and that we were getting to see his sweet features on the ultrasound, that we really didn't flinch when we heard this news. Nothing could have stolen my joy at that moment; not even possibly concerning news such as a cyst on my baby's brain. God had blessed us with such peace. I was honestly just excited that this just meant that I would get to see my sweet boy again on another ultrasound in a month when I wasn't expecting to get to see him again until delivery! As always, Dr. Snead asked if he could pray with us after the ultrasound and he prayed specifically that God would heal the cyst in Grayson's brain. Before we left, Dr. Snead said that he would just keep setting up ultrasounds to check on the cyst until either Grayson was born or until the cyst would possibly disappear. We left as happy as can be that we are having a BOY and that God is so good to us, no matter what. We got in the car and said a prayer of thankfulness for the good news and asked God to help the cyst to disappear soon. On the way to meet family to tell them we are having a boy, Drew and I talked about how much peace we felt. Even if we ended up having a child with a chromosomal disorder, we knew God would never give us more than we could handle and that He would bless us with the strength and support we would need if that was what He called us to do. Drew sweetly told me that if that was the case, he wouldn't rather go through anything like that with anyone else but me. What a sweet and assuring husband! From that day until June 20th, Drew and I boldly prayed every night in our prayers that God would heal Grayson's cyst and would help it to be completely gone by the time we went in for the next ultrasound. Not once were Drew or I tempted to look up anything on chromosomal disorders or the chances that we might have a child with something like that on the internet. Afterall, you can find just about anything--good or bad--on that internet and I'm sure it would have only caused us worry, fear, and pain. Not once did I ever feel paralyzed by fear, curiosity, sadness. All I felt during this time was pure joy, peace, and contentment! I know that must have been the Holy Spirit protecting me giving me that overwhelming sense of peace. On June 20th, Drew and I went back in for the sonogram and immediately, Dr. Snead said, "It's gone! The cyst is gone!" Sure enough, we just saw Grayson's white skull/brain without a single trace of a black spot where the cyst was! I was so thankful God had so faithfully answered our prayers and the prayers of others on our behalf. And I was blessed with joy and reassurance, but I wasn't surprised. God is good ALL THE TIME. Even if the outcome had been different, God is good. It did bless Drew and I with peace and even more joy that we serve a God that listens and answers our prayers. We immediately said another prayer of thankfulness in the car together before getting in our separate cars to drive home. I asked Drew to call his parents to tell them the good news and told him that I would call my parents to tell them the good news as well. Drew later told me that his family was so happy to hear that Grayson's cyst was gone. When I called my mom, she was so thankful that God answered our prayers and told me to try to call my dad who was at a baseball tournament in Utah with some friends. I called him and left a message for him to call me back when he could. A few minutes later, Dad called me and I was able to tell him that the cyst was GONE! Dad told me that it brought a lump to his throat and asked if he could say a prayer with me over the phone. I haven't really seen or heard my dad cry but maybe a couple of times in my life, but he could barely choke out his sweet prayer because he was so moved by how God blessed us with this news...which of COURSE got this emotional-already-and-hormonal-pregnant-girl choked up as well!

All of this to say, that God is so good, his blessings are endless, and his faithfulness has no bounds. Thank you, God!
He's still a boy!
Sweet arm and profile, look at those pouty lips!, and incredible spine.
Another sweet Grayson profile, foot, and hand.

3 comments:

  1. God is so good- thank you for sharing!! :) He is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hoping to hear that good news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That whole story so warms my heart. God is so faithful!! What a story you can tell Grayson when he gets older about how God hears us and no prayer is to little or to big for Him. So great, Tara. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete