Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Week 29 and Platelets

Drew left his camera at work on Friday, so I couldn't get him to take a good picture of me yesterday. This barely-decent iphone photo will have to do for now. I may get him to take a new picture today when he gets home but it will be cutting it close for "week 29" since week 30!! starts tomorrow!
This past Monday I had another two-week obgyn appointment with Dr. Snead. I went in just thinking I was going to have the standard pee-in-a-cup, step on the scale, get blood pressure checked, and listen to my sweet baby's heartbeats appointment. While I did do all those things (everything's great, but...I better slow down on the 'ole weight!!), my doctor came in and told me that my last blood test I did, when I did the glucose screening, showed that I had a very low platelet count. "Ummmm, could you tell me what platelets are exactly? Are they white blood cells?" I asked. Nope, turns out platelets are what helps your blood to clot. He explained that my low count could be one of two syndromes: Gestational Thrombo-cytopenia or Idiopathic thrombocytopenic Purpura. I definitely had to have him write those down. It seemed like he started talking in a different language for a minute! Gestational in the first one means just during pregnancy. He said that is the case with me. Idiopathic in the second one means they can't explain what causes it.
Basically, women who have this will often develop it in their third trimester, like me, and what happens is their platelet counts just start going lower and lower until delivery (but then bounce back up to normal range after the baby comes). Because of this, hnowever, Dr. Snead warned that it is very likely I will not get to have (cue the horrible gasp!) an epidural or spinal tap if I need to have a c-section. They worry about too much blood loss or leakage into the spine of blood if my platelets are too low. He even said that because of that, if I have to have a c-section I will have to be put under general anesthesia! He said that if I have any complications with regular labor, that they will be quicker to move me to c-section considering my platelet issue. He did give me a little glimmer of hope by saying that there is a possibility that they could put me on steroids toward the very end of the pregnancy that might raise my platelet count to a normal range enough for me to be able to still get an epidural. They had me give them so more blood to send off to the lab to check the count again. They called me on Wednesday with the results. The first time it was 119. The second time, it came back a couple of points higher at 121. However, this is still considerably low. Most hospitals, I have learned, won't allow epidurals or spinals if you are under 100. If I am only starting at 119-121ish with Dr. Snead telling me the pattern of this syndrome is for the platelet counts to keep getting lower and lower...it's not looking too good.
I have so many mixed feelings about all of this. First of all, the idea of being put under general anesthesia and missing out completely on my firstborn's, my son's, birth brings tears to my eyes. When I told Drew about all of this, he said, "Well....guess we better take one of those Lamaze classes or something!" Haha! I was thankful for his attitude and his ability to make me laugh in this circumstance when he said that. But, that made me really think about it...yeah I guess so! I guess I will have to be a little more prepared for going through natural childbirth if I am not able to have an epidural! Crazy. So not what I imagined. I am the kind of girl that is all about the DRUGS to make this an easy and enjoyable (as possible) experience, people! Why not since those kinds of things are available these days?!
Ultimately, I know God has a plan. I know God will take care of me. I am thankful that this in no way affects Grayson (he is as healthy as can be!). I know that God will give me the strength to make it through whatever I need to make it through. In the meantime, Dr. Snead is keeping a close eye on my platelet count by having me give blood at each appointment. I will keep you updated as I hear more about what to expect. I would really be blessed by your prayers as well. (Drew and I have been praying, but always kind of snicker when we say 'please God, be with Tara's platelets'...platelets is kind of a funny word, isn't it?!).
Lastly, I leave you with my two favorite baby pictures of Drew that I snagged from the Branches this weekend! I hope our little boy looks like this!!!

2 comments:

  1. Well I'm definitely pulling for you in this whole platelet thing & hope they just jump up to normal range & you can do the whole epidural thing no problem. But even if you end up having to have a c/sec & worse scenario are put out, although it's not ideal, it'll all work out alright. I don't remember Nathan's birth & although I remember being really emotional about it right after his birth, now 6 years later it really doesn't seem like a big deal at all. :)
    And btw- you are pretty much the cutest pregnant lady ever!

    ReplyDelete