I couldn't WAIT to get to see our precious little baby at our first ultrasound appointment. The appointment couldn't have gone better either (well...ok, I could have been a sweeter wife and not dragged Drew into the appointment feeling so sickly-later found out he had pneumonia, but I couldn't wait any longer!).
Dr. Snead came in and did a full well-woman exam on me since it will be past time for me to have one at my usual time next year when I am ginormous pregnant. I was pretty nervous (tmi, but it was the first time another man had SEEN me and I know he is a doctor and it's different, but that still just made me nervous)! He was very easy to talk to though and is an Aggie, class of '97!
He did the exam quickly and then did a transvaginal ultrasound. They turned off the lights so he could see everything really clearly on the screen and we could hear the heartbeat!!!!! That's when the tears came to my eyes. It was quiet at first but still definitely there. Then, he moved the instrument closer and we could hear it loud and clear at 117 bpm! The old wives' tale is that a low heartbeat means it's a boy and a high heartbeat means it is a girl. My friend, Lara, said her daughter Maclaine was at 152 bpm almost every time--any guesses?!? Drew and I loved that part!
Then, Dr. Snead turned the screen toward Drew and me and he pointed out baby. We could even see it's teeny tiny heart beating on the screen! I was measuring a lot less than the 8 weeks I thought I was at that point, so he pushed back our due date to October 18th (from October 6th)! He said the baby was measuring 6 weeks and 6 days at that point and that every Tuesday my weeks will change. He printed this sweet sonogram picture for us! Enjoy our Branch Baby Blur!
Then, Dr. Snead asked us if he could PRAY with use before we left!!! I felt so overwhelmed by the Holy Spirit at that point. We got to see our baby AND we have a God-fearing doctor that initiates prayer with us?!? Wow. God is SO good. He prayed for my cough to get better and for me to feel better soon. He prayed for our baby and for a healthy pregnancy. What a blessing!
After seeing Baby Branch and hearing it's strong heart beat, as well as hearing from Dr. Snead that everything looked great...who could wait to announce our joy with the world?! Not us, we posted the great news on Facebook that evening. I posted my sonogram picture and Drew posted this...

Wanna guess who got the most congratulation posts?!
Wow! I can't believe your dr prayed with you! That's so incredible! OK & I'm not-so-secretly hoping it's a boy. I was thinking the other day how Nathan needs a boy to play with in our family! And I think having a boy first was absolutely perfect!
ReplyDeleteoh, tara, i have tears in my eyes!! i just love reading your blog cuz you write like you talk. i miss you bunches!! 9 weeks, wow!! so excited for you and drew and baby branch!! love you. peace.
ReplyDelete